Wednesday 17 February 2010

Anna Steinberg talk...again?

Today a freelance illustrator called Anna Steinberg came in today to talk to us about working in freelance design. Even though I am a graphic designer, it was interesting to hear how being a freelancer could effect how we work.
So a bit of background to Anna is that she graduated from a general graphics course in 1994. After graduating she went to work with the AOI aka association of illustrators.
As an illustrator she spoke about ways of promoting herself. While promoting herself in commonly known ways she said a way to go out and get work was through trying to find the art director of a company, for example in a magazine, she said it was important to speak on 1st name terms which would give the conversation a warmer atmosphere. I particularly enjoyed the step by step guide of how she did the guardian brief 'pushed into work.'

Anna gave me the inspiration to get organised before going into the real world. The way in which she did this was to encourage us to create a log which dated each live project we had done to help us find dates easily, see what company I was working for at the time, when money was sent and received.

I don't want to speak negatively of this talk because she was interesting to listen to, and had a lot of useful things to say, but she came in last year (when I was in first year) and did pretty much the same lecture, so it was a bit de ja vu so I decided to take this as a positive and see it as a refreshment session as I don't think I recorded it well last year.
A way this could have been improved was by letting the first years get involved with this talk too.

All Anna's work can be found at: www.annasteinberg.co.uk

No comments: