Wednesday 20 October 2010

Redweb lecture

We had the head of design and head of innovation come in to talk to us about the work life at Redweb design studios. Redweb are a leading company in the web design industry behind some of the biggest web innovations today. Damian Proctor and David Burton are two of the guys behind the Meetdraw night as well.

They put on a very interesting presentation which highlighted how the different parts of their company functioned, in particular concentrating on the creative team. I was surprised at how many different people there were running a job from start to finish, to produce a number of different websites. Theses included the:

- User Experience
- Content designer
- Web editor
- Visual designer
- Accessibility designer
- Front end development
- Senior designer
- Video designer
- Head of design
- Innovation design

I was blown away by the number of people who were involved with the whole project. But gave me a great insight into where I want to be in the next few years maybe? Each bullet was explained as to what each of their jobs were, and it was really interesting to find out about. A few areas within this team stood out in particular to me, mainly the video designer, who was in charge of creating the motion graphics which is my main area of interest at the moment.

My next step from this talk has motivated me to go and email the company to see what they think of my work. I will ask if I could get in touch with their video designer to see if I can find out about more of the work he does.

No comments: